It will help meet obligations under The Disability & Equality Act 2010:
- BS 8300: 2009 Design of buildings and their approaches to meet the needs of disabled people – Code of practice
- Building Regulations Approved Document M: 2004 Access to and use of buildings and Sport England’s requirements.
Formerly known as Access for Disabled People, the 'Accessible Sports Facilities Design Guide' was first published in 2010 and conveys current requirements for accessible sports facilities.
Following the publication of the Accessible Sports Facilities Design Guidance note in 2010, the audit checklists that support the guidance note have been updated.
The Audit Checklist is intended to assist the user in auditing an existing or new facility, assess accessibility and help identify and avoid barriers that might otherwise limit the use of the facility by those with a disability.
Wayfinding and signage
This guidance (July 2013) covers the principles of good wayfinding and signage for community sports centres. It encourages a strategic approach at the early design stages of projects in order to create user friendly and easily operated sport facilities.
Factors such as the positioning of the building on a site, circulation routes, views into activity areas and the organisation of internal building elements are discussed along with the need for clear, simple and intuitive signage.
Two examples are provided based on our ‘Affordable Sports Halls’ and a typical ‘Wet and Dry Sports Centre’. These can be used as templates for the development of appropriate solutions for individual projects.
- Accessible Sports Facilities 2010 File size: 2.99MB Download
- Accessible Sports Facilities Audit Check List October 2012 File size: 0.60MB Download
- FAQ Accessibile Sports Facilities November 2012 File size: 33KB Download
- Fig 16 Unisex Changing Room File size: 0.21MB Download
- Fig 17 Unisex Changingroom With Fixed Changing Bench Seat (1) File size: 0.22MB Download
- Fig 18 Unisex Changing Room With Shower WC And Fixed Bench Seat (1) File size: 0.23MB Download
- Fig 19 Unisex Assisted Change Changing Places Facility (1) File size: 0.12MB Download
- Fig 20 Changing Cubicle Within A Main Changing Room File size: 0.10MB Download
- Fig 22 Typical Shower Area For General Use Incorporating Changing Bench File size: 0.12MB Download
- Fig 23 Accessible Shower Cubicle Incorporated Into Main Shower Cubicle Area File size: 0.12MB Download
- Fig 24 Standard Unisex WC Left Hand Transfer File size: 0.19MB Download
- Fig 25 Sports Chair Zone Unisex Accessible WC Left Hand Transfer With Power Operated Door Set (1) File size: 0.23MB Download
- Wayfinding and Signage File size: 6.56MB Download